For all you ICBC injury claimants, revealing and uncovering the truth about auto giant ICBC can be impossible when the “freedom of information” laws provide ICBC with legal shelter. ICBC is a modern example of a state-run auto insurance enterprise, part of the concept of a planned economy.
Despite difficulty finding this information on the ICBC website and information brochures for the public, here are 5 important facts you should know about ICBC and what they do:
- ICBC hires lawyers to represent bad drivers in British Columbia. ICBC lawyers defend and protect negligent drivers.
- ICBC makes a profit on the premiums paid by good drivers. The drivers that do not cause accidents are the most valuable income source for ICBC in the end.
- ICBC sues auto policy holders for a variety of allegations such as misrepresentation, repayment and fraud. A government monopoly that sues private citizens.
- ICBC records dial-a-claim car accident statements and uses them against car accident claimants in lawsuits.
- ICBC supported laws that cap compensation at $5,500 for pain and suffering for “minor injuries”. The same ICBC with lawyers that represent bad drivers will be allowed to reduce their obligation to pay good drivers. This will be law after April 1, 2019.
I cannot stress enough how important it is to speak to a lawyer now, if you have been injured, before reporting a car accident injury claim to ICBC. This includes pedestrians, cyclists, drivers, and passengers. At present, you can easily find an injury lawyer to provide a first legal consultation free of charge.
Posted by Mr. Renn A. Holness, B.A. LL.B.- Representing the injured in BC since 1995