First Steps After an Auto Accident
If you are at the accident scene:
- Move away from traffic;
- Make sure the police and paramedics have been called;
- Take photographs and video at the scene before the vehicles are moved;
- Obtain witness names and contact information- don’t talk to witnesses about how the accident occurred;
- Record details about the scene of the accident;
- Cooperate, and be truthful in providing your best recollection as required to police.
Initiating a Personal Injury Claim after a Car Accident
Call, or have someone call, ICBC dial-a-claim to report the accident for you as soon as possible in the Vancouver Lower Mainland or anywhere in BC. Make sure the initial report is accurate.
The Days Following a Personal Injury Car Crash
- Establish a family doctor to oversee your medical treatment and recovery;
- Make best efforts to document key events that may not be documented elsewhere such as social outings and recreational activities ;
- Keep a day book or diary of life interference following your accident;
- Follow the recommendations of at least one of your healthcare providers.
You will need to prosecute your injury claim by: reporting your accident; completing and filing required documentation; satisfying important deadlines; investigating; obtaining medical opinion; and securing accident benefits.
ICBC Injury Claims Information and Advice
The procedural hurdles and steps to be taken in an ICBC claim involving personal injury are complicated and involve a combination of legislation and judge made law called, common law. If you want “do-it-yourself” information about ICBC claims procedure explore our in-depth easy to read analysis provided as helpful legal information and not legal advice for your specific claim.
The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, ICBC, is the most unique auto insurance carrier in North America being a government corporation providing mandatory third party liability coverage through government mandate and having the power of government to promote traffic safety.
Initiating your Personal Injury Lawsuit from the Vancouver Courthouse
There are several court registries in the Province in which a Notice of Civil Claim can be filed after an auto accident. The Vancouver Courthouse across from 808 Nelson Street houses registries for Supreme Court and the Court of Appeal. You will need to state the legal basis of your claim, including the Court Rules, statutes, and the common law that supports your claim. Watch our short video to learn more about making a claim after a car accident: